Tuesday, January 3, 2017

"Mickey Mornings.."



Breakfast has always been one of my favorite meals.
Honestly, I could eat breakfast food for lunch and dinner as well. But when my kids were growing up, it was always a rush in the morning to get ready for work and school. Consequently, during the week, it was usually cereal or a Pop-tart as we ran out the door.

They DID love frozen waffles though, so one day while wandering around a cooking store, I saw a magical piece of cooking equipment stashed behind all of the professional pots and pans.


The familiar Disney face stared at me from the front of the box, begging me to pick it up. Reading the contents, I discovered I could make waffles that looked like Mickey Mouse in a non-stick, virtually foolproof waffle maker. No special mixes. 3-4 minutes per waffle. How could I resist the chance to so easily impress my kids?


So Mickey came home with me and the waffles became the “special” breakfast I would make for them when they had friends sleep over and on holidays. We’d put all kinds of toppings on the table and the kids would decorate their waffle with raisins, chocolate chips, berries, orange slices, whipped cream and fill in the crevices with the extras! (But of course, everyone always wanted to eat the ears first).

It became a tradition, and if I mistakenly put a box of cereal out on a sleepover weekend, you can bet they made sure I had that waffle maker out within a few minutes. Even throughout high school and when they came home from college, I would make the waffles for a special breakfast or just for fun!

I found the appliance in my cabinet last year when we were packing up and getting ready to move out of our house. Having been ruthless about getting rid of kitchen things I no longer used, I just couldn’t let go of Mickey. There was still a “need”, so he came with us to our new place.

I now have a 10 month-old granddaughter and she’s staring to eat “real” food. So, when they came to visit over the holidays, I couldn't wait to make the Mickey Mouse waffles. I was so excited to see her eat the little bits of waffle and smile.  I’m pretty sure she liked them, and my adult kids really enjoyed the memories that eating them brought back.
Since then, she’s even had a Mickey shaped pizza! (Genius idea!)
They’re heading to Disney World soon and I know seeing the "real" Mickey will put a smile on her face. 
Just as long as she doesn’t try to eat his ear!




No comments:

Post a Comment